Joseph Campbell was famous for his quotes was an American author and professor of literature, best known for his work on comparative myth and comparative religion.
Campbell saw parallels between the beliefs and myths of different cultures and literature and thought that this could not be a coincidence. He studied the universal function of myth and concluded that people’s beliefs around the world are the same, so they cannot be interpreted as the result of independent historical development.
During the Great Depression, Campbell engaged in an intensive study to prove his theory. He devoted nine hours a day to reading, for five straight years. Freud and Jang had a great influence on Campbell’s work, and because of the similarity between the symbolic interpretation of dreams and myth, he was often identified as a Jungian.
Since the publication of The Hero with Thousand Faces, Campbell’s theory has influenced the work of more modern artists such as George Lucas. The book is now on the time list of the 100 best and most influential books written in English.
Among the countless other contributions to combined psychology and literature, Hero’s Journey is the brainchild of Joseph Campbell. Campbell is a legendary American author and scholar of comparative religion.
From studying Sanskrit in Europe, spending 5 years studying 9 hours a day in the woods in the woods – Campbell had a unique expectation of world religions, the practice of life and money, and the academic ability to pull it all together.
He explained all the trips we shared, based on the foundation structure laid down by the deep psychologist below, Freud, Jung and many more.
Campbell was the true mastermind of the emergence of the collective gems of collective ignorance, depth of mind, and insights over millennia – one of the main tenants of High-Ecstasy’s ability to spread the idea of ’following your pleasure’.
The story’s sultan, master of mythology, Campbell has essays to share with those who are willing to listen, absorb and dive into the journey of their own hero. Joseph Campbell famous quotes on life, success, and vision were great. This blog is a collection of Joseph Campbell Quotes. Here we go:
Joseph Campbell Quotes
1. “Opportunities to find deeper powers within ourselves come when life seems most challenging.” Joseph Campbell
2. “Find a place inside where there’s joy, and the joy will burn out the pain.” Joseph Campbell
3. “Suddenly you’re ripped into being alive. And life is pain, and life is suffering, and life is horror but my God you’re alive and it’s spectacular.” Joseph Campbell
4. “The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are.” Joseph Campbell
5. “If you can see your path laid out in front of you step by step, you know it’s not your path. Your own path you make with every step you take. That’s why it’s your path.” Joseph Campbell
6. “The schizophrenic is drowning in the same waters in which the mystic swims with delight.” Joseph Campbell
7. “Is the system going to flatten you out and deny you your humanity, or are you going to be able to make use of the system to the attainment of human purposes?” Joseph Campbell
8. “Your sacred space is where you can find yourself over and over again.” Joseph Campbell
9. “If you do follow your bliss you put yourself on a kind of track that has been there all the while, waiting for you, and the life that you ought to be living is the one you are living. Follow your bliss and don’t be afraid.” Joseph Campbell
10. “A hero is someone who has given his or her life to something bigger than oneself.” Joseph Campbell
11. “Your life is the fruit of your own doing, you have no one to blame but yourself.” Joseph Campbell
12. “Where you stumble and fall, there you will find gold.” Joseph Campbell
13. “To find your own way is to follow your bliss. This involves analysis, watching yourself and seeing where real deep bliss is – not the quick little excitement, but the real deep, life-filling bliss.” Joseph Campbell
14. “Technology is not going to save us. Our computers, our tools, our machines are not enough. We have to rely on our intuition, our true being.” Joseph Campbell
15. “You enter the forest at the darkest point, where there is no path. Where there is a way or path, it is someone else’s path. You are not on your own path. If you follow someone else’s way, you are not going to realize your potential. ” Joseph Campbell
16. “Participate joyfully in the sorrows of life.” Joseph Campbell
17. “We can choose to live in joy.” Joseph Campbell
18. “If you are falling, dive.” Joseph Campbell
19. “When your heart speaks, take good notes.” Joseph Campbell
20. “The cave you fear to enter holds the treasure you seek.” Joseph Campbell
21. “The big question is whether you are going to be able to say a hearty yes to your adventure.” Joseph Campbell
22. “When we quit thinking primarily about ourselves and our own self-preservation we undergo a truly heroic transformation of consciousness.” Joseph Campbell
23. “The achievement of the hero is one that he is ready for and it’s really a manifestation of his character. It’s amusing the way in which the landscape and conditions of the environment match the readiness of the hero. The adventure that he is ready for is the one that he gets.” Joseph Campbell
24. “I think the person who takes a job in order to live, that is to say, for the money, has turned himself into a slave.” Joseph Campbell
25. “Follow your bliss and the universe will open doors for you where there were only walls.” Joseph Campbell
26. “The ultimate dragon is within you, it is your ego clamping you down.” Joseph Campbell
27. “That step, the heroic first step of the journey, is out of, or over the edge of your boundaries, and it often must be taken before you know that you will be supported.” Joseph Campbell
28. “One way or another, we all have to find what best fosters the flowering of our humanity in this contemporary life, and dedicate ourselves to that.” Joseph Campbell
29. “If you’re going to have a story, have a big story.” Joseph Campbell
30. “You are the hero of your own story.” Joseph Campbell
31. “Love is perfect kindness.” Joseph Campbell
32. “We’re so engaged in doing things to achieve purposes of outer value that we forget the inner value, the rapture that is associated with being alive, is what it is all about.” Joseph Campbell
33. “The demon that you can swallow gives you it’s power.” Joseph Campbell
34. “There is perhaps nothing worse than reaching the top of the ladder and discovering that you’re on the wrong wall.” Joseph Campbell
35. “We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us.” Joseph Campbell